01 November 2006

Making progress...

It's now about week since we lost touch with old Slugger. Since then we've had to rescue it from the clutches of a particularly nasty server. It's now with the new hosts, and mostly intelligible. He still has all his old memory. But some parts of the code have been mangled, and would mean asking people scroll down to get to the heart of the blog.

I'm still working on it (in a bumblingly, non techie sort of way), and I'm hopeful we'll have him back before long.

In the meantime, my heartfelt thanks to John, John, Joe, Samuel, Martina, Alan and David for their kind and generous support in Slugger’s hour of need. If you want to add your own support, then just hit the paypal button below. Believe me, it is much appreciated!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bit odd that this keeps happening Mick. I've put together websites and never suffered from the ongoing animosity of servers that seems to beset you. Is it the server traffic is pissing off your hosting company? Do they want more money? Doesn't make sense why a perfectly functioning website one moment should suffer such catastrophic and long-lasting disboweling on a seemingly regular basis. Computers generally only fuck up disastrously every few years; in the meantime they're regular as clockwork - that's what computers do. Is it the bloggers who keep doing something to smash it up?

Mick said...

As I've said Anon,

I'm no techie, so I can't answer you satisfactorily. I'm told there were databasing probs with this time - thus the scrunching of the site in parts. This had been a problem with the same company before, but to be fair to them, they gave us a break for a while by giving us a dedicated server, but when it returned to a shared server recently, we got all the old problems and worse.

It seems to be working okay at the moment - touch wood. This is effectively the third time in four years it has had similar problems using two quite different platforms, so I'm not sure that it can be blogger related.

Having said that, last time we came off was when I was trying to implement a hack to make podcasting easier and more routine, and in the process sliced off something vital. That is something I acknowledged at the time.

It struck me though that we could do with a tech minder on the team. Just to keep an eye on things and to safely hack new services in.